Old May 9th 12, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn

Default XCountry logging

On 5/8/2012 6:10 PM, Don P wrote:
On May 8, 11:32 am, wrote:
On 5/7/2012 9:55 PM, Don P wrote: Sorry to beat this dead horse.... Here is my trip:
Leg1 : 49.3 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg2 : 59.0 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg3 : 36.2 NM .4 Hobbs

How much of this can legally be logged as Cross Country Time?

Probably all, perhaps none. Read 61.1 (b)(3). Possible catches: 1) Did
you land at any of those places? Was at least one of your landings at
least 50 nm straight-line distance from your point of departure?

Vaughn

Hmm ..... I thought I already replied to this, but it isn't showing
up, so if it repeats, I apologize.

All the distances listed above were straight line distances. I flew
each of these to a full stop landing. Therefore, Leg 2 of 59 NM I
know for a fact can be logged xcountry, but I'm unsure of the rest.
Sorry for the confusion.

My suggestions remains to read 61.1 (b)(3). You can easily do that on
the Internet, but if you don't own a FAR/AIM, it's probably time to buy
one.

In short, assuming that all the other requirements were met(pilot
certification, type of aircraft etc.) you can log the whole flight as
long as one of your landings was at least 50 NM from your starting point.

Vaughn