Old December 21st 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default How does sun heat the air?

At 17:42 20 December 2017, wrote:

Flying downwind of the Adirondacks also produces bafflingly

complex "wave" phenomena and a great many cases where thermal
& wave systems coexist, and also conditions where one can climb in
clear air up alongside convective clouds. A lot of this is very hard
to explain classically. =20

My take on some of this is that it is not wave really, instead it is

convergence due to the Mohawk/Hudson drainage convergence ...
but without a lot of data I can't get, hard to know.

You should come down and visit us in Freehold, NY to experience
the Hudson/Catskill convergence, plus flying in the nothern
Catskills. I find it interesting and challenging, so that I'm not
often bored with the same old stuff....... Others who don't
understand the mechanisms just get frustrated a lot....

RO