Old January 28th 05, 09:19 AM

What I wanted to say were just two things:

1. That Phoenix must have been optimized for Cold War threats (bombers,
cruise missiles) more than for destroying tactical fighters.

I've heard about a AIM-120C sub-version for F/A-18E/F, with an
increased range, that would fill the gap after the F-14/AIM-54 team is
retired. Certainly not as big, and with a smaller warhead...

2. That the more distant the target is, the bigger chance it has to
survive (provided that it is aware of the danger) - no matter how
well-advertised the weapon is.

The only time to experience that for me personally was flying "F/A-18
Korea". AMRAAMs fired to distant targets, even when HUD was shouting
"SHOOT", very often missed (unless the target was a bomber, then the
hit was almost sure). But it was enough to launch an AIM-120 from a
short distance (just a few miles), to make it 80% probability hit.

Simulation is not a real life (though sometimes close to that), but
every weapon has its limitations - no matter if "made in USA" or from
another country...

Last but not least, you are right, the mission objective was achieved.

Kind regards,

Jacek Zemlo
[just an armchair flyer, I hope not as stupid as could be;-)]