Old July 24th 03, 03:01 AM
John

Richard Caldwell wrote:

As long as you guys are swapping lies about the Blackbird, would someone
please recount the story of the SR-71 that suffered a flamout just this side
of Africa on its way back to the east coast. As I understand it, that makes
the SR-71 the record holder for long-distance gliding (as in un-powered
flight). Of course, it could be just another whopper, but I've never gotten
the "real poop" on that particular incident.

Richard Caldwell

IIRC: That was a U-2 and he flamed out near Bermuda..
huge difference in the glide ratio of SR-71 & U-2