Old January 16th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
:

On Jan 16, 11:41*am, "Jim Carter" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
messagenews:331fcbab-cfe1-400

No, several planes did land.

-Robert

I think you're confusing with practicality with legality. OVC
represents a

overcast which represents a ceiling. 001 OVC is 100' ceiling which is
less

than any of the published minimums. 1/8 SM represents a visibility
and on the ground that is less than RVR 2400 or any of the other
published minimums.

We were speaking legall; I think we agree that legally the 001OVC
1/8SM is not significant. In my experience with fog it isn't
necessarily significant from a practical point of view either
because...
1) Fog is rarely uniform. 1/8 at the end of the runway may be 1/2 mile
at the other end. That is why RVR is often quoted in "touch down" and
"roll out", sometimes even 3 locations.

It's usually three in fact.

2) At 200 feet you may be in the clouds but its common to be able to
pick the rabbit out from the clouds. The rabbit is very high intensity
and commonly pierces through the clouds (which is its purpose).
Sometimes I'll fly 1/2 a dot off to the right so the rabbit appears
below me out the window.

If you were getting the lights at that distance, you didn't have 1/8
vis. That may have been the reported vis, but if an RVR were installed,
you would have been getting something a lot closer to legal vis.

Bertie