Old July 8th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave J

Default Airplane noise can indeed be annoying

I went camping last weekend at the Sunol Regional Wilderness, in Sunol
CA. I took my son (14 mos. old) for a simple car camping/hiking trip
and we had a good time. But I could not get over the amount of
aircraft traffic over the park. It was non-stop!

Now the funny thing is that I'm a pilot, and I've spent countless
boring holes over the San Antonio reservoir (a few miles away).
Morever, I know that the SUNOL intersection is only 10 miles away and
is a fix for A LOT of procedures.

All of this gave me some sympathy for those who are frustrated with
airplane noise. I'm not talking about people who live in the approach
paths for major airports, for whom I have little sympathy, but with
people who unbenknownst to them, live under an important fix, or a
popular practice area.

It was an interesting experience.

-- dave j

PS -- By the way, it was the jet traffic that was most annoying. I
could not tell exactly what was going on, but it sounded like the
airliners descend from the flight levels to SUNOL and then put power
back in to maintain 10k or so. One after the next you could hear
engines spool up.