Old April 17th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
oilsardine[_2_]

Default can a Continental A65-8

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Kinda spected this was where we was headed. Unfortunately I don't
know of a good solution to your problem. The prop diameter limitation
and intended cruise speed (common on lots of VW based designs) means
for all practical purposes you are stuck with a direct drive solution,
and in this power range the options are limited.

yes, and financial options are limited as well at this times...

The Subaru won't gain much over the VW in direct drive configuration
and adds the complexity of water cooling.

Subaru may be over the Sonex 200 lb firewall forward limit

Making some assumptions about your Sonex, a Rotax with a 3 blade prop
might be an improvement? But it too is water cooled.

financial limits...

Some seem to like the Jabiru as a VW substitute.

6-cyl. Jab is the optimal powerplant but $$$$$....

How much over weight? Would a diet be a better solution?

I said the SONEX is overweight, not me ;-))

Too bad there isn't an inexpensive controllable pitch prop available
for this kind of application........................other than the
Ivo?

Ivo and direct drive 4-cyl., not a good match...

Editorial comment: ....

very true