Old March 20th 05, 02:10 PM

Default Marfa Wave Soaring Camp 2005

Marfa, West Texas, USA
March 19, 2005

The annual Marfa Spring Wave Soaring Camp began this weekend with
lenticular clouds in every quadrant. In March and April, steady SW
winds over the mountains in Mexico may generate the wave downwind near
Marfa. Sailplanes thermal up to cloudbase (15,000' msl) and then
contact the wave. Our Wave Window with ATC allows climbs to 30,000'
msl. Marfa Airport (MRF) is on a grassy plateau at 5,000' msl, located
between Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend National Parks.

Soaring legend Dick Johnson is the mentor to more than 30 glider
pilots, and dual instruction is available from Burt Compton at "Marfa
Gliders". The Camp dates are March 19 - 26, 2005.

We soar year-round at Marfa in west Texas, so come visit us for
"personal best" flights, basic to advanced glider training and FAA
Practical Tests.

Marfa was the site of the 1970 World Soaring Contest and where "The Sun
Ship Game" soaring movie was filmed.

We'll show you a good time!

Burt Compton, Master SSA Instructor / FAA Designated Examiner
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
website: www.flygliders.com
email: