Old August 12th 16, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jock Proudfoot

Default Racing

At 05:24 12 August 2016, Sean wrote:
Actually a Grand Prix format for soaring at the Olympics would

be much
more=
fun and understandable than sailing is to the average Joe. I

have
compete=
d in both sports, and ran/competed in a Grand Prix recently.

Of course sailing (unlike US rules soaring, for example) does

have the
conc=
ept of a "leader" at every mark and the finish, but the sailing,

wind
shift=
s and tactics are very hard to follow. Much harder than

sailplane Grand
Pr=
ix would be. Plus the concept of flying at 180 mph is more

exciting than
a=
boat moving at 8 mph...

The beloved turn area - timed task and the concept of starting

anytime one
=
wishes would immediately turn off the vast majority of

spectators....oh,
wa=
it a minute....maybe we should try the one or no turn HAT.

Now that would
=
just be some riveting viewing!

It's no wonder the sport of soaring is declining. If you think

about it,
i=
t's been in decline since about the same time we moved away

from racing
tas=
ks. Hmmm. Today it's hard to explain soaring rules

(especially the
unique=
and highly complex US rules) to people who are pilots, even

soaring
pilots=
!

Oh, and finally, the 4 hours required to complete the scores

each day
(well=
, night really, often late night)! I'm surprised the big TV

networks
aren'=
t beating down the doors for the rights to all that sports

excitement!

A bunch of gliders randomly flying around 30 mile radius turn

areas (or a
H=
AT task) Is not a race at all. When the gliders finish spectators

would
ha=
ve no idea what happened! Add in handicaps, etc....BOOM!

Oh the ratings!

Soaring in the Olympics? Not with the current Jon racing

mindset and
rules=
.. No chance. Maybe sailplane Grand Prix would work. That

would be
really=
fun actually!

Anyway, thanks for the chuckle. This idea is really, really

funny!
Especi=
ally when you assume it's US rules soaring that your proposing

as an
Olympi=
c sport!

Sean

"Seamanship is two dimensional Airmanship at 10 Knots"