Old February 4th 05, 02:36 PM
Bob

I don't understand what you mean by " but the all-Hornet air wing is
sorely taxed to take its combat power further than 150 miles from the
nearest blue water.". Do you mean 150 miles from an overland target
area? I'm no fan of the short legged Hornet but I think it could make
a 500, maybe 600 mile strike and return? USAF and NATO tanker support
can be based a long ways from the target area, how far I don't know.
Probably far enough not to need a permission slip from any non-friendly
country. I would love to see an F-14/A-6 CVG but the chance of this is
about like getting Spad CAS for the Marines.