Old January 12th 04, 10:47 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: The nature of military justice.
From: "Andrew Chaplin"
Date: 1/12/04 11:30 AM Pacific Standard Time
"ArtKramr" wrote in message

Not all the details but that they were going to execute a guy because

Ike had
had enough of desertions and wanted to set an example. That's all we

knew. But
that alone triggered fairness questions and issues of justice.

It's unfortunate that U.S. authorities did not look to what happened in
the Commonwealth forces in the previous Big Mistake. Canada executed
something like 24 men over four years, and in retrospect it looks to have
been a travesty of justice. Australia refused to adopt the executions
policy that the B.E.F. had convinced Canada to apply, and they had no
more problem with desertion than anyone else, likely less.

Anyone recall the details involved in the black marketeers in Italy who
murdered a sergeant (a Provost, I think)? The U.S. members of the
conspiracy got life, and a Canadian was executed, IIRC.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

We have equal justice under the law. But some are more equal than others.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer