Old September 28th 15, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Schmidt

Default That's OK. The Glider Will Hold.

wrote 2015/09/28 at 20:49:

This should start some great story's.

well; mine may just not be great, but somewhat touching (me) ...

About 11 years ago, me a glider student, just soloed, our club (over
here in Germany) had a summer camp at another club, like we do every 2nd
year. I had begun flying a couple of months ago together with my son,
who hadn't soloed yet. While thermalling about 2.000 ft above the
airfield, I received a radio call by our instructor: "Werner, may you
hold a little? We are just going to launch your son for his first solo!"
"I'll try", I answered and was so lucky to be able to stay in that
thermal, so I could see my son being winched up for is very 1st solo
flight, doing the pattern and land safely. Think I'll never forget!

Regards
Werner