Old September 7th 03, 04:07 PM
Kevin Brooks

Scott Peterson wrote in message ...
"Harley W. Daugehrty" wrote:

If I remember correctly the F-102 was not exactly a "safe" aircraft, it was
a rather of a challenge to fly and its mission profile in a nuclear exchange
was not desirable at all.

May be, but by the 1970's that was all in the past. Patrolling over
the Gulf of Mexico for waves of bombers from Cuba was hardly the stuff
of legend.

Huh? You are aware that the Cold War was still alive and well through
the *eighties*? And that despite the fact that the TXANG units were
based in Texas, they could have been assigned air defense duties
*anywhere*? The situation today is not all that different (except that
today's threat is unlikely to shoot back), with ANG fighters flying AD
missions from detached locations on a routine basis. You may not like
GWB, but attacking the service of the F-102 pilots who did their duty
*wherever* it occured is not gaining you very much.

Brooks

To everyone else who did correct me about the use of the F-102 in SEA,
thank for the information.

Scott Peterson

Seen it all, done it all,
can't remember most of it.