Old September 7th 03, 03:23 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Tex Houston" writes:

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
F-102s showed up in Thailand and Viet Nam from before the beginning,
as it were.

In August, 1961, 4 F-102As from the 509th FIS, Clark AB, Pi deployed
to Don Muang Airport, outside of Bankok for air defence duties,
apparently as part of Project Bell Tone.

My source shows this took place in April 1961.

The early '60s period of our involmement in this area was, shall we
say, a bit turbid, but here's what I have on Bell Tone, which isn't
much.
The initial BellTone deployment was 6 F-100s from the 510th TFS/405th
FW from Clark AB, from April - August '61. They were relieved by the
4 F-102s from the 509th FIS/405th FW in August, closing shop sometime
in early '62.

Or so says my somewhat tattered photocopy of "Combat Wings of the Air
Force"

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster