Old September 8th 03, 03:59 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message ...
In message , Frank Vaughan
writes
Could you go into greater detail on this? The 2.75" FFAR was an
unguided rocket munition. How would the F-102 IR ball come into
play?

At a guess... Find an IR source (running engine, camp fire, etc.) with
the IR sensor, then fire unguided FFARs at IR source.

I believe the gent may be mixing up his situations a bit. There was an
experament conducted in the theater of operations where F-102's used
their IR sensor, paired with their IR Falcons, to strike heat sources
along the Ho Chi Minh Trail--more of a nuisance program than anything
else. And I have read that they did use their 12 FFARs against ground
targets--but I have not read that the two situations were related. One
of the aviation history magazines did an article on the F-102 a few
years back and covered this episode in reasonable detail.

Brooks