Old December 24th 03, 01:42 PM
robert arndt

Charles Gray wrote in message . ..
For those who think it woudl have been such a wonderful idea to
invade, I call up the image of the Battle Of Berlin. One source
states:
*Berlin?s fate was sealed, but the resistance continued. Fighting was
heavy, with house-to-house and hand-to-hand combat. The Soviets
sustained 305,000 dead; the Germans sustained as many as 325,000,
including civilians.

Your source is outdated. When the Russian archives were opened the
reality of the Battle of Berlin was far more grim. The Red Army lost
30,000 alone on the Seelowe Heights and a staggering 600,000 overall.
Please note that during the entire war the Germans managed a 4-to-1
kill ratio against the Russians. It is now estimated Russia lost 32
million alone during WW2.
Although Berlin fell and Germany lost the war, the German cost was
actually low overall compared to the total destruction Germany wrought
on Western Europe and Russia. Germany was also hit by 1.3MT of bombs,
far more than the Japanese atomic bombs, and survived intact.

*

That would have been *so* much more human, especially when you
woudl have to add the toll of the beach lands, every other city, and
village, to say nothing of reducing the army in China.

I agree with you there. The Japanese probably would have fought even
more tenaciously for their Emperor than the Germans did for Hitler,
who actually had already forsaken his own elite Waffen SS and the
German people as a whole.

Rob