Old October 30th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default FLARM.....for good, or evil??

On Oct 29, 2:27*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Darryl, by the way, the USAF (and I assume USN/Marines/Army) is in the
process of installing Mode S (with 1090 ES) in many (if not all) of
it's planes. *C-17s are already using this mode in Europe, as can be
seen on the sites that show Mode S tracks. *And I personally know that
F-15Es are being equipped with Mode S.

What this means is that there is the potential for using the
PowerFLARM 1090 ES detection capability to provide accurate and timely
warning of military aircraft - such as fighters on low level routes,
and in MOAs. *That would be awesome - I'm sure we have all been
surprised by a pair of fighters at some time.

What we may need is for SSA to push the DOD to require all military
aircraft equipped with Mode S transponders to use them at all times
when practicable and explain why.

This capability in itself makes a PowerFLARM a necessity in some
areas!

Cheers,

Kirk

Kirk

Thanks for the info.

BTW if you look at current goodies like the BAE F15 CIT it is a
combined Mode 4 IFF transponder *and* interrogator that also does Mode
S etc. i.e. it can interrogate a Mode C or Mode S transponder in your
glider and paint you on the tactical display and you can also see
their Mode S transponder. All assuming they want to let you see them
of course. See pdf brochure at http://tiny.cc/alo9f its a sexy piece
of technology. I believe that system is going into recent F15
refreshes.

Effectively all the heavy transports and tankers have Mode S, because
the USAF has equipped them with TCAS II systems with require Mode S in
the TCAS equipped aircraft (but will work with Mode C or Mode S in the
threat aircraft) and also probably for compatibility with ATC in
Europe and elsewhere. With Europe mandating 1090ES data out for
aircraft over 5,700kg it makes sense for large military transports to
equip with that even ahead of USA domestic requirements - even if the
military may be technically exempt from requirements. In any serious
threat situation that transponder and especially 1090ES data-out is
going to be turned off, they have "aim here" written all over them. It
will be interesting to see what military transports etc. do with ADS-B
data-in/CDTI to enhance TCAS II displays.

I agree that seeing both transport and fast military traffic via long-
range 1090ES data-in like that in the PowerFLARM could be very useful
- especially in knowing general areas where this traffic is operating.
But if military traffic is a major concern maybe a more effective
thing you can do is to equip with a Mode C or Mode S transponder.
Effectively all heavy military transports and tankers have TCAS II
equivalent that can see your transponder and provide RA instructions
to the crew, military controllers can see your transponder on their
SSR radar and many tactical aircraft equipped with radar/IFF can see
you transponder systems - *if* they have the IFF in the right
interrogator mode, which they might not in all situations. I would
talk to the flight ops or RAPCON etc. at the military facility about
their aircraft equipment and operating proceeds. I'd much rather have
ATC controllers, TCAS II and IFF systems keep us separated than rely
on doing something to avoid them at the last minute.

One of our local traffic concern are heavy transport and busy mixed GA
around Travis AFB and all that traffic effectively has TCAS II and the
local RAPCON sees all out transponder equipped gliders but is blind in
large areas due to radar scatter from windmills and cannot see any
primary glider targets. They provide great service, including flight
following to gliders and are very easy to work with. Oh yes and when
are all those USAF RAPCON getting ADS-B critical services so they can
see UAT equipped traffic (without transponders). Who knows, again my
head hurts too much thinking about that (OK I lied I'm asking around
on that one).

Darryl