Old December 21st 04, 05:08 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:

Do you a) keep North up or b) orient the map in the direction in which you
are flying?

I keep north up. I like to be able to read the labels.

I made a flight to Oshkosh one year with a guy who does things the other way
'round. He decided to "help" by taking my sectional and doing the navigation.
Drove me nuts. Fortunately, the weather on the way up was great and I didn't
really need the chart - I just followed the LORAN track. The only problem spots
were staying out of the controlled airspace around major airports.

On the way back, we were running at 1,000' AGL (more or less) under a low
ceiling with visibility of about 7 miles in haze. He was immensely helpful then.
I made him position the chart so I could read it. He had a handheld GPS with a
moving map and kept his finger just west of our position the whole way. Great
for avoiding towers and such.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.