Old March 11th 04, 03:23 PM
Gene Seibel

(David B. Cole) wrote in message om...

Don't get me wrong, I have other interests. I enjoy studying history
and science, traveling, spending time with family and friends, and
have just fulfilled another lifelong goal by starting fencing lessons.
I have learned to scuba dive, plus I have a list of other goals I
hope to achieve very soon. But at the end of the day I can't escape
this flight addiction. I started at 29 and certainly wish I had
started about 10 years earlier. But I also think I have an
appreciation for it now that I probably wouldn't have had back then.

It's nice to have other interests - you can fly to study history, fly
to visit friends, fly to scuba dive, etc. Then it's easier to pretend
that flying is useful. I've been addicted for 28 years. It's terminal.

I didn't mean to go into a long rant. I just wanted to see whether
others out there find themselves ensnared by this hobby to the extent
they wonder about their sanity. I had a dinner with a friend
yesterday and I told her that I was considering tallying up all the
money I had spend on flying to date. She told me not to, and asked if
it really mattered how much I 'd spent? It was something I did for
myself and it was something that made me very happy so how could I
place a price on that? She told me that so few people ever find
anything that they're passionate about, and even fewer have an
opportunity to make it a reality. I don't think I'm alone given what
I know about others on this board, but sometimes we need a sanity
check.

She's right. Don't do it. If you fail the sanity check, there's only
one cure anyway, and that is flying.
--
Gene Seibel
http://pad39a.com/gene/broadcast.html