Old October 29th 04, 02:08 AM
Kyler Laird

(Ben Jackson) writes:

Can any of you suggest plans that have good coverage at out of the way
airports?

I've heard good things about GAIT plans. If you want GSM plus
coverage, that seems to be the answer.

I use SprintPCS with a phone that can fall back to analog. It's rare
that I need to do that but it's usually at the places where I *really*
need to make a call. I have only been out of coverage a couple times.

Basically I want to land anywhere that's paved and be able
to call home or flight service.

I've been considering (for a looong time) getting a satellite phone
for use when I'm in the boonies. It would be easy enough to just
leave it in the plane. It would also work in the *real* wilderness
and enroute.

The plans for pre-paid service are getting quite reasonable.
http://skyhelp.net/iridium_calling_card.htm
It sure seems worthwhile even just for emergency use.

--kyler