Old December 2nd 03, 06:11 PM
Roy Smith

"markjen" wrote:
I think that is the big fallacy with new instrument pilots - that they can
truly fly in any weather and can meet hard schedule committments. It takes
a lot of airplane and a lot of training/experience to be able to
consistently tackle IFR weather with reasonable risk. I'd guess that on any
given mission, I can make it VFR 80% of the time. IFR cuts my scrubs in
half so I can go 890% [I assume you meant 90%?] of the time

There's a lot of truth in that.

I've completed a lot of trips VFR that I wouldn't have dared taken if I
didn't have the IFR option in my pocket. That means both getting a
pop-up if conditions change in flight, and the ability to file IFR the
next day or a few days later for a return flight.