Old March 2nd 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jay B

Default MS Flight Sim

On Mar 1, 12:16 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Jay Beckman writes:
It's a "Survey Sim" and is mediocre at best. Because of the broad expanse
of aircraft offered, it can't possibly fully model all aspects of each
aircraft in full fidelity.

Then you might want to rethink the praise that people heap upon X-Plane, which
does exactly that.

Wouldn't know a thing about X-Plane...have never tried it. But since
it too is a survey sim, I'm fairly confident the same things apply.
I've read that it crunches numbers differently/better than FS (which
is "table based") but it still isn't flying.

In fact, the number of models is almost uncorrelated with the fidelity of the
modeling. It's more a matter of budget than capacity.

Don't care if it's due to budget or capacity. It still lacks
fidelity. It does not model every aspect of every plane offered.

I may be wrong, but I've always understood that
that's why software like Elite or On Top devote 95% of the screen to the
panel? So that maximum processor cycles can be devoted to getting the most
fluid and precise response from the instruments?

More likely they are intended to provide practice for instrument flight, which
is what such simulators do best. So scenery isn't very important.

It's exactly what it's meant for...scenery doesn't matter at all.

I must respectfully disagree. Flying requires action - reaction on three
axis'. Manipulating pixels in 2D (IMO) is not flying.

You have six or more axes to manipulate in a PC simulator. And flying by the
seat of the pants is not the sum total of flight.

It is in visual flight. No feel, no action, no reaction. And by the
same token, no feel, no action, nothing to fool your senses in IMC
either. Feel (whether required or something to be discounted) is
still a key component of RL flying. It can be your friend or it can
kill you but it cannot be ignored nor discarded.

I wholeheartedly agreee. And if "The Albatross" were sincerely interested
in aviation, he'd be welcomed with open arms. As it stands, he has made it
crystal clear that he considers the experiences and collective wisdom of the
aviation community to be suspect, flying is nothing more than a hobby to be
enjoyed by the idle rich and GA aircraft are death traps.

Your statements reveal more than you realize. They reveal, in particular,
that you don't care about someone who is sincerely interested in aviation.

Actually, those who know me know that I am a devout worshiper at the
high alter of flight. I've been an aviation buff all my life (well
before I earned my wings) and I extoll it's virtues to any and all who
will listen. I make every effort to offer my non-flying friends the
opportunity to ride along in the hope that they will catch the bug and
want to get their own certificate.

You care about someone who agrees with you and your friends unconditionally, because your ego is more important than passing whatever knowledge you have on to others.

Couldn't be more wrong. See above. As for ego, when it comes to
being a pilot, I have 147 hours of total flight time. There are
pilots on these boards with over 10,000 hours + ... the difference
between you and me is that I know when to shut my mouth, open my ears
and listen. Doesn't mean I have to agree or believe everything they
post but it doesn mean that they deserve their due by shear weight of
numbers. It's called respect. A concept with which you are so
obviously unfamiliar with.

The experiences and collective wisdom of the aviation community at large are not very suspect, but you do not even begin to remotely represent this community, and the experiences and collective "wisdom" of your club, such
as it is, pale in comparison and are often highly suspect.

So that's what this is all about, eh? You feel left out of the club?
There's an easy way to join. Oh, but I forgot, you hate to fly. Oh
well...

USENET is filled with people who want to be experts but aren't. I listen, but I verify.

No you don't. You argue, defy and generally **** on anyone and
everyone. You **** *on* people and they tell you to **** *off.*
Seems fair to me.

And I ask people to support their statements.

And when they do, you **** on them some more.

If they cannot do so, it's pretty likely that they are wrong, no matter how much they fume and cuss and stamp their feet.

Yet you persist in asking questions which generally be unanswerable in
a forum populated largely by GA pilots? Do you really thing you'll
get operational details for a 747-400 from a group that is
predominently concerned with Cessnas, Pipers and the like? Your
yelling "Fire" in an empty theatre and that makes it oh so easy for
you to cast out your little pearls of disdain, "I guess no one here
knows anything..." Who's stamping their little feet in this case, eh?

OMFG!! I guess I missed those posts while shoveling through the rest of his cross-posted tripe.

I suspect that your attention was diverted by your emotional reaction.

Wow, thanks for bringing me back to center. I really need to control
those irrational outbursts directed at completely anonymous people. I
really hate when I do that. *Sigh*, we all have our crosses to bear.

That's a bet I'd be more than happy to take.

Be careful what you wish for.

I want a pony. Howzat?

Just as soon as he:
- Learns to say Thank You
- Actually listens to and attempts to learn from what others post
- Learns to say Thank You
- Stops refuting absolutely every last piece of information he's offered
- Learns to say Thank You
- Stops pronouncing that he knows better than those that "have the T-Shirt"
- Learns to say Thank You
- Stops belittling GA on GA-centric newsgroups
- Learns to say Thank You
- Stops pronouncing MSFS as the be all and end all of flight simulators
- Learns to say Thank You
- Starts using Google, FAA, AOPA, EAA, etc. websites of his own volition
- Learns to say Thank You
- Goes and takes an Intro Flight
- Learns to say Thank You

It's interesting to note that all but one of these statements relate to maintaining the egos of you and your friends, and some of them are incorrect as well. Only one (taking an intro flight) is actually related to learning about aviation.

Really? You mean you couldn't learn anything from aviation web
sites? From the FAA, AOPA and/or EAA? From the information provided
by other, more experienced pilots? From Google's own archive? So
none of these are sources of information where you could learn? Hmmm,
maybe the internet really is over rated...I'm crushed.
And there you go with the ego thing again... How, praytell, is it
possible to maintain this mythical "club" you carry on about when
usenet is the most egalitarian communcicative device ever conceived?
No one has said you can't post here. You are free to do as you
please...but so is everyone else. If you are perceived as being a
pariah, or if you feel particularly persecuted, then perhaps you
should look inward before lashing out. People are free to say and do
as they please, but they are not exempt from the consequences of their
words or deeds.

So learning about aviation isn't what you want. You want an ego boost. But you won't get that from me. Sorry.

Again with the ego boost? I think your issue is becoming more and
more clear. You realize don't you that you could be the second coming
of Wilbur Wright, but unless you've walked the walk, all the talk in
the world is never going to earn you one iota of respect here so long
as you continue to boast, brag and otherwise browbeat people here
without ever having moved even an inch off Terra Firma as a pilot?
Seriously, if you want to be Cock of the Rock, you need to take your
act where someone gives a damn.

In case you didn't get it there, Sparky... It ain't so much the material as
it is the attitude.

Exactly. You care about the attitude; I care about the material. I have no time to pander to fragile egos.

I coun't four specific references to ego. Anyone else see one I
missed? Seems to me that in an attempt to hold up some kind of a
mirror to the aviation newsgroups, you're holding it backwards.
That's the one and only thing I find utterly fascinating about this
entire episode and it occurs with absolute unfailing repetition. The
closer that people come to the root cause of your motivation, the
louder you squawk.

Posting to aviation-specific newsgroups and decrying flying in general (and
GA in specific), then asking the pilot community to spoon feed him answers
(readily avialable from thousands of sources on the web) just so he can
dismiss the answers and dump on those making the effort to answer is, IMO,
the very definition of "Trolling."

I haven't done that.

Yes. Yes you have. You, my friend are the 21st century, electronic
equivalent of the little brother that no ones wants to let tag along.
"Look At Me...Look At Me...Look At Me...Aw c'mon guys, won't anyone
pay attention at all??!!!???"

In short: **** Him...

Your maturity and calm are commendable. QED.

Why thank you. They happen to be two of my best traits!