Old November 29th 12, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Strut on Cobra trailer

On Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:51:34 AM UTC-5, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 29.11.2012 14:28, wrote: On Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:28:46 AM UTC-5, K wrote: I have a 1999 Cobra trailer (Recently purchased). I believe the strut on the tongue is due for a service because it moves so easily that you can almost not back up because the brakes are applied. I looked for a lockout (Like on my old trailer and I could not find one. Can these struts be serviced or rebuild or do I need to order an entire new one. Ive been on the Williams site and did not find a rebuild kit. Thanks Kirk Gas spring inside needs to be replaced. There is no rebuild kit for the gas spring. UH Actually, it's not a gas spring, it's just a damper. It can be replaced, but I would advise that you get yourself aquainted with the mechanics before taking it apart, or, better, find someone who has done it before. It is actually doable without special tools etc., but it is not trivial. Different types (Peitz, Knott, ALKO) hade different details to observe. If you want details, I need the type number of the tongue. -- Peter Scholz ASW24 JE

Given that it pushes the tongue back out when compressive force is removed, I would define as a spring. Trailer of this vintage likely has ALKO tongue..
UH