Old August 14th 03, 02:53 PM
Bill Daniels

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
(Mike Havener) wrote
The Lake Elsinore Soaring Club is looking for qualified CFIGs to
become part of our instruction staff.
Monthly dues are waived for a CFIG's service, which means that you can
fly any glider in our fleet (that you are checked out in and qualified
to fly) for the price of a tow. Instuction fees are paid directly to
the CFIG by thier students.

I always find it interesting when a club is so short of CFIG's that it
has to waive dues and have the students pay for instruction, and must
still advertise. Makes me wonder - how come they can't grow their own
instructors in sufficient quantity? It's not particularly difficult
to become a CFIG, nor is it particularly expensive or time consuming.
Things that make you go hmmm...

Michael

It is interesting isn't it. I think the problem is that some clubs insist
on seeing instructors as low-paid employees.

In fact, they are very valuable volunteers who endure the hard work and risk
because they love to teach soaring. If you remove the intangible rewards
which the employer-employee relationship often does, the CFI-G's just walk
away - they have more rewarding things to do.

Bill Daniels