Old July 5th 03, 06:03 PM
Lynn Coffelt

"Pechs1" wrote Or USAF...I don't know of any US military
fighter that had doors that closed
after the LG were down, ala an airliner..F-15, Century series fighters,

etc.

No reason to...to close some doors..maybe some airline puque can say why

some
airliners DO have some dorrs that close-to save fuel???

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Hmmmm, Didn't some (or maybe all) F-86 series retract the nose gear
door after the nose gear extended? The reason, I believe, was that the huge
door was an aerodynamic hindarance to "slipping" and a liability during
crosswind landings. Kind of like a big fin on the pointy end.
Seem to remember we "dirty fingernailed" having to hit a switch or
position a valve before the engine "spooled down" or restart the engine to
get the door down. (for postflight inspection, etc)
Old Chief Lynn