Old April 29th 21, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan K

Default Time to hang it up?

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 8:26:32 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 2:42:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 1:06:13 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/21/2021 4:55 PM, John Sinclair wrote:
It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
Pat & JJ Sinclair

I completely understand, and I'm younger and don't to drive nearly so far. A
smaller, lighter, simpler glider sounds very attractive to me right now. Jan and
I are happy we knew you and Pat during the years we went to contests. May good
fortune continue to find you two.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

SIR ,

Just back from the race at Perry and I read this ..

I say well done , I say you did it right, I say you were my friend, you got what "we " got to do in the past.............!!!!!! , I say it is .........almighty !

You helped me when we asked, you helped lots and lots of folks.

Perfect JJ !

HW

If I had to travel 3 hours, plus assembly and derigging time, to fly I would probably quit too. That is why I own a motorglider that I keep tied down at my local airport. Pulling the covers off only takes 10 min and the airport is 15 min from my house. This week I played 18 holes of golf, drove to the airport, and had a 6 hour flight.

Tom

Congratulations Tom, your medal is in the mail.