Old April 4th 16, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default Helping with land out blues............

I experienced loss of power flying my Husky several years ago, a cow pasture was the only option. I encountered strong sink and had to cut my pattern short and land the short dimension cross hill, rather than up hill. Short final looked to be lots of rocks - not good. Pasture was being irrigated, no cows, and what I thought were rocks were clumps of cow patties, lots and lots of them. Things I learned:

Braking in wet cow manure is nil. It behaves like grease but smells worse.

An intentional ground loop can prevent you from going through a barbed wire fence, but just barely.

The swoopy paint pattern common on motor homes doesn't look all that great when it's in brown on the side of the plane and hanging down under the elevator.

The rancher said, I heard you a comin' over that ridge and it didn't sound good to me, I knew you was in trouble. I allowed as to how I was right there in the cockpit and it didn't sound real good to me neither! He said nobodies ever landed here in this pasture before - I told him I was sorry to be the first, but did appreciate that he removed the cows prior to my arrival :c(