View Single Post
Old May 21st 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The aerodynamics of a towplane in a kiting glider situation

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 10:01:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I invite anyone who thinks getting an STC approval is a simple process to just download this handy 96 page guide from the FAA.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_21-40A.pdf

And, no, you can't just change the make/model on the paperwork and resubmit it. The process is the same for a different aircraft. (Pawnee vs. Cessna 185 etc.) You CAN apply for an STC within certain parameters for aircraft of a similar "family," like Cessna 180, 182, 185, but there are still differences that must be defined for each model unless the equipment, processes, installation and materials are IDENTICAL.

Yes, it is not easy, no one has said it is easy, obviously it is hard and unnecessarily so...BUT many things in life are hard and still worth doing. Kennedy said "we choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, NOT because hey are easy but because they are hard." As a kid I saw a man save a life, what he did was hard and dangerous but he saved a life, what can we do better than that? Some choose to discuss why it can't be done, I choose to see things from another perspective. I am not in a position to take the necessary steps, I don't own or fly a tow plane, I'm not an employee or an operation or club but I can see my hand in front of my face. If these comments and rantings move ONE more club or commercial operator to take the obvious necessary steps and replace a proven failed system for a proven better one then it's worth it.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot