Old September 20th 04, 03:05 PM
Mike P.

"Pechs1" wrote in message
bfoong- Does anyone know what and why a Corsair may be doing escorting a
soviet recon plane alongside a more dedicated interceptor? BRBR

All aircraft on a CV can be called upon to escort a Soviet A/C. On Midway,
sometimes the alert 5 was A-7s only, with a Aim-9, as the wind was too low

for
F-4s to fly.

It was all about finding the Soviet A/C and providing escort as it found

the
CV. Taking pictures, that sort of thing. I have escorted many Badgers,

Bears
and Mays and have often been joined by A-7s and A-6s...no big deal.

I may have misunderstood - correct me if I'm wrong - but are you saying the
escort aircraft would allow (or escort) the Soviet aircraft close to the
aircraft carrier so it could take pictures rather than escorting it away
from any ships? If so, why?

Mike