View Single Post
Old February 1st 16, 08:59 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gilbert View Post
Hi Frank,

There are several Standard Libelles in South Australia, including a few at Gawler, and at least one at Stonefield. I'm sure the owners of these gliders would have been more than happy for you to have a sit in one to see how you fit. I am guessing you are likely at Balaklava.

For what it's worth, I'm 6 foot 3 & quite meaty, and I flew a Libelle for many years. If anything, the biggest issue was related to my feet rather than the size of the cockpit. Some people find them to be quite narrow across the shoulders as the cockpit walls taper inwards at the top, but deceptively long.

My Libelle was a combination of 2 - early production wings combined with late production fuselage. My wings were balsa core and had upper & lower surface brakes. I don't believe the switch to foam core was intended to modernise the glider, more to solve a material sourcing problem.

Jim, for what it's worth, mine was the first of 2 libelles that Bob Dircks owned, VH-GAK.

A 1973 build Libelle is likely to have foam core, the thicker & rounder tailplane, and top surface airbrakes only. Come to think of it, considering the fact that i'm an avid reader of gliding classified sites, and Libelles, I am fairly sure I know the one you are talking about. Considering it's serial number is in the late 450's I am certain it is as described above.

Cheers,

Nick Gilbert
Mosquito VH-GSG

On Saturday, 30 January 2016 12:13:05 UTC+10:30, Ommadawn wrote:
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback chaps.
I cant actually try out the glider as it is 2300Km away.
I will be making an epic road trip to check her out.
I will fit, as I'm not really big, but my buddy was the one I was
concerned about. He is about 6"1 and 100Kg.
Sounds like it won't be an issue for him.
If she checks out ok I will be hauling her home.
I hope to become a regular contributor to this forum, even if its just
to ask dumb newbie type questions, as this will be my first private
sailplane.
I have a significant history of hang gliding, RC model soaring and FPV
piloting.
I'm in Adelaide South Australia.
Cheers
Frank.

--
Ommadawn
Its a B version, 1880 hours.
You guessed it, Nick. I'm with BGC in SA.
Any obvious things I should look for when inspecting a 43 YEAR OLD GLIDER!!!?