Old August 23rd 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and all that

Larry Dighera wrote:
Are you able to point me toward a resource, like a roster or other
documentation, that will shed any light on an individual Flying Tiger?
I used to work with a Zinsco salesman named Arnold Moselle who once
mentioned that he was a member of the Flying Tigers that flew the
hump. As I recall, the hump was the Himalaya Mountains. I guess not
all Flying Tigers flew P40s.

It's safe to say Moselle wasn't a member of the AVG. He could easily have been
a member of the 14th Air Force, which assumed the moniker of "Flying Tigers"
after the breakup of the AVG in 1942. And they did fly the Hump....

While I can easily find complete rosters for the AVG, the 14th Air Force is a
little more daunting. Too much for me, anyway.

Moselle should be somewhere between 80 and 90 years old today, assuming he's
still alive. Coincidentally, there was a B-17 pilot by that name but he flew in
the European theater of war.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com