Old January 3rd 04, 06:26 PM
Andrew Sarangan

"Mick Ruthven" wrote in message m...
Unless I'm missing someting here, an IFR approved GPS receiver (GPS only,
not a combination GPS, VOR, LOC unit like some of the newer ones) like the
KLN 89B will contain GPS approaches in the database. To fly VOR-only or LOC
or ILS or NDB approaches you need to use the avionics for those approaches,
not a GPS.

"Ross" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
A few days ago I had a last minute change of destination and didn't check
the database (KLN 89B) of the rental A/C for the approaches at Waterloo
(CYKF) prior to departure. To my surprise, the db only had 1 approach

(VOR)
for the airport against the 4 published approaches (VOR, NDB, LOC(BC) &
ILS).

Is there anyway to find out what approaches are in a database without

going
out to the airport and playing with the GPS receiver? Or do I just have

keep track of which ones I was able to do?

As a side line: a few months ago there was a post about the DH for the ILS
at this airport (CYKF) - 500 ft. There is now a NOTAM lowering the DH to
250 ft.

Thanks,
Ross

GNS430 has all the approaches, but if you attempt to activate a
non-GPS approach, it will flag a warning that "GPS guidance is for
monitoring only". It is a very useful feature for training purposes.