Old January 3rd 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Default GNS 430W vs GNS 480

Roy N5804F wrote:

I am really interested to hear how many of us have actually been asked to
fly a Holding pattern by ATC in the recent past ?

It is more common than you think, assuming you routinely fly IFR to
uncontrolled airports (at least in the Northeast US). While certainly not
a lot, I have been asked twice over the year I was commuting to Dunkirk,
NY, to momentarily hold due to another IFR aircraft ahead of me flying the
approach.

Additionally, on frequency I have heard holding instructions go out to
every aircraft (air carriers and GA alike) approaching the big three NY
airports when a line of t-storms was about to move through.

The point being that the more you fly IFR, the more likely you will
encounter a request to hold.

--
Peter