Old March 10th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Some technical considerations related to Spot trackingperformance

On Mar 9, 9:33*pm, Steve Koerner wrote:
In another thread today, the issue of Spot tracking performance came
up. *In particular, it was pointed out that several pilots at the
ongoing Senior's contest were experiencing long periods of missed
tracking reports. *This is an area that I have personally investigated
recently. *I *gave a presentation at a recent Arizona Soaring
Association meeting on the subject. *As Tuno pointed out in that other
thread, my presentation is available for download at my Wing Rigger
web site at this page:

I have just joined the SPOT community and have done some ground
testing and one flight. I received my SPOT the same day as I attended
Steve's interesting presentation so that was good timing.

Has anyone found a good place to mount SPOT in the cockpit so it has a
good view of the sky, is out of the way, not an obstruction to outside
vision, and easy to configure before flight. Like Steve, I don't mind
if I can't reach it in flight, but unlike Steve I can't mount it on
the headrest as it would be under the turtledeck as my seat back is
fully aft. Although there is a glass RF window in the turtle deck of
the 28 I think the front arch is carbon.

For my first flight SPOT was clipped to my parachute chest strap and
was not in an optimum orientation. As expected I lost many reports.

I am wondering if it would work under the glareshield between the
panel and the nose. That position would be high up but it would have
to transmit and receive through a layer of glass. The forward
position should mean there would be less blocking by the wings when
thermalling than for a headrest mounting.

So what has been tried and what works?

Andy