Old September 1st 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jettester

Default Many transponders in close proximity

Eric Greenwell wrote:
jettester wrote:

I'm glad to hear that at places like Minden and Arizona you guys are
using a discrete code with ATC's blessing. It still would mean you are
talking with the ATC controllers on their freq.

No talking for code 0440 is required at Minden, anymore than is required
for code 1200. You just punch it in and use it while VFR.

... Incidentally, we (USAF) did tests with fibreglas gliders to see if
we could "see" them with ATC radars.. you typically could not unless
they increased their power above the rated power they were authorized
at the time... yet, if we put wadded up tin foil (Reynolds Aluminum
wrap) in the wings, they showed up like gang busters.

Seattle center and the local approaches don't seem to have problems
seeing our gliders, especially if we announce our prescence. Perhaps
your tests predate the newer radars?

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"

I did a Electronics Counter Measures test in the late 1980's against
their (Seattle's) radar, and their's is the newest in the country and
the most capable.

Jettester (UP)