Old October 5th 03, 06:17 AM
Marc

"CriticalMass" wrote in message

"Skyhawk" wrote in message

I would recommend the CH Products Yoke w/ throttle,mixture, and prop
controls. If you want to spend the big bucks, get the Pro Pedals as

well.
They are around $250 purchased at the same time or $130 each. I would

check
out the www.pcaviator.com web site. I have purchased from them with
success, and they have competitive prices. It is hard to find the good
controls at retail. As an alternative, the Microsoft Force Feedback 2
joystick works well and it is around $100.

While I won't argue with any of the above, I will add my comments.

I am now using CH USB rudder pedals, with no issues to report.

I *used* to own the CH Yoke with engine controls and all the buttons.
Believe it or not, the damned thing stripped the hardware-store clamp

bolts
that secure it to the desktop. I could no longer attach it to my desk and
use it to fly. It boggled my mind that such a low-tech item would tank,

but
it did. It went into the trash.

I will not buy from CH Products again. If they can't get an item like

that
right (and, mind you, I've been using their stuff for a L O N G time),

they
have lost my confidence.

So, I'm now flying the sim with the CH USB Pro pedals and a Microsoft FFB2
force feedback joystick.

I agree that flying most of the sim airplanes is best enjoyed with a yoke,
as opposed to a stick. I'm waiting for something more durable than the CH
yoke to surface on the market. I have the bucks, and I'll spend them, if
that's what's required to get *quality* flight sim controls.

I had two of those, and no problems with the bolts. The bolt itself is a
stainless steel standard piece of hardware -- type SBY, which can be
obtained at a hardware store. It is epoxied into the knob. The socket into
which the bolt fits is brass and pretty durable. I don't see anything poorly
made about these parts, but they are easy to replace if they should go. In
any case, I would not judge a flight yoke by the bolts that hold it to the
desk, that is a pretty minor part.

I have held off getting the rudder pedals. Are they useful? Seems like a lot
of money for something that doesn't get used too often. In a crosswind I
just land a little kilter -- unlike the real thing, there are no repair
bills for damaging the virtual main struts, at least not so far.

Question, do any of the virtual airplanes accurately simulate a forward slip
using the rudder pedal - including rapid loss of altitude, etc.?

thanks