Old September 3rd 04, 02:41 AM
pjbphd

Default Help With Medical Problem Identified During Medical Exam

I'm taking flight lessons and was hoping to get my private pilot certificate
not too far down the line. Today I went in for my medical and was told by
the examiner I have a couple problems. Although I've been asymptomatic for
some time I'm on a medication that is not allowed by the FAA. When I went
to the physician who prescribed the medication (a non-pilot) he was shocked
that the FAA does not allow pilots to take it. Unfortunately he does not
recommend I discontinue its use. Nor is there an alternative medication
acceptable to the FAA.

Do I have any recourse other than discontinuing the medication even though
my physician recommends I stay on it or accepting that I won't be able to
fly. In other words is there any kind of appeal process provided I can get
the prescribing physician to state the medication does not impair my
abilities? This is particularly frustrating in that had I known the med was
not allowed, starting YESTERDAY I could have gone for a recreational pilots
certificate without a medical review, but now it's too late.

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd @ cox dot net