Old September 3rd 04, 11:01 PM
pjbphd

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately from what I've found out,
including a conversation with AOPA, I'm screwed. Almost.

Here's the deal. I've been on Effoxor, an anti-depressant for a few years.
It's not allowed by the FAA. I tired to contact the AME today, but he was
out of the office. Hopefully I'll reach him next week. Nevertheless,
because I've disclosed it to him, it is my understanding that he has to
report it. Therefore, my only recourse is to discontinue it's use.
Something I'd like to do anyway, but it's pretty sad when a medication must
be discontinued to comply with an FAA rule. As I mentioned, I've been
asymptomatic for some time. I've also operated fine on high elevation
mountains (14,000 feet) while taking it with no problem.

This isn't the fault of the AME, he's just the bearer of bad news. It is
frustrating for me, but not depressing grin. It looks like at a minimum
it'll put my flight training on hold for six months, and maybe permanently.
If anyone has any additional advice, I'm open.

pjbphd

BTW, when the DR. who prescribed the Effexor read the FAR and AOPA
information stating that it is a disqualifying medication he said "That's
insane!" Then he said "Oh, I shouldn't say that!" grin

"pjbphd" wrote in message
I'm taking flight lessons and was hoping to get my private pilot

certificate
not too far down the line. Today I went in for my medical and was told by
the examiner I have a couple problems. Although I've been asymptomatic

for
some time I'm on a medication that is not allowed by the FAA. When I went
to the physician who prescribed the medication (a non-pilot) he was

shocked
that the FAA does not allow pilots to take it. Unfortunately he does not
recommend I discontinue its use. Nor is there an alternative medication
acceptable to the FAA.

Do I have any recourse other than discontinuing the medication even though
my physician recommends I stay on it or accepting that I won't be able to
fly. In other words is there any kind of appeal process provided I can

get
the prescribing physician to state the medication does not impair my
abilities? This is particularly frustrating in that had I known the med

was
not allowed, starting YESTERDAY I could have gone for a recreational

pilots
certificate without a medical review, but now it's too late.

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd @ cox dot net