Old June 2nd 05, 04:10 PM
Bruce Hoult

In article .com,
"309" wrote:

All of the aruguing aside, can anybody out there tell me a little of
the history of QNH, QFE, and QNE (etc.), specifically, WHAT does the
"Q" stand for??? The "F"? The "N", the "H" or the "E"???

"Query". These are Morse radio operator's abbreviations for common
questions they might ask of or be asked by a ground station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_code

QNH is I believe "Nautical Height" and QFE is "Field Elevation" though
these are more mnemonics than definitions. What is the difference
between height and elevation? If you know, please explain why QNE might
be "Nautical Elevation".. (some sources suggest the mnemonic "anywhere"
for NE)

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-