Old April 5th 18, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default SLA batteries opinions?

On 04/04/2018 06:06 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 7:16:02 PM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
r.a.s. is powered by lithium.

- you mean the type that comes in pills? :-)

Regarding the other messages, I am surprised that the BMS does not protect from a short, I thought that was one of the stated protections officially promised. And that BMS was one major advantage of the (better) LiFePO4 batteries over SLA.

The reason lithium batteries in all their flavors tend to have BMS
boards is that they are more sensitive to overcharge and overdischarge
problems. It's not good for SLA's to have that done to them, but but
they tolerate it much better than lithiums. Lithiums also generally
have problems with cell balancing, which is another task typically done
by the BMS. But you can't assume all bMS boards offer full protection,
RIchard's experiences tend to indicate otherwise.

For high-current batteries, disconnecting the terminals from the
internal cells is a tough problem, generally power transistors are used
to do the switching. Would you trust transistors to reliably handle the
current and voltage spikes created by a starter motor? I wouldn't.