Old September 4th 17, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
G Shib

Default Perlan GLIDER ALTITUDE: 52004 ft

Well, 52,172 ft doesn't sound enough to claim a new world record. According to sporting code,

3.0.4 World record margins
A new record claim must exceed the current value by 1 kilometre for distance, 1 km/h for speed, and 3% for altitude.

The current altitude record is 50,720 ft. Adding 3% to it, you need at least 52,241.6 ft to claim a new altitude record.

On their Virtual Cockpit page, I did see altitude over 53,800 ft. I hope they can claim a new world record!