Old October 5th 03, 06:33 PM
Kevin Horton

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:06:58 +0000, RobertR237 wrote:

In article , Barnyard BOb --
writes:

I don't know.
What?

I do know.... the last Soob powered local plane crashed, burned and the
pilot became another fatality statistic off the end of runway. Maiden
flight Propulsion issues.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...12X19459&key=1

So how then do you explain a recent RV-6 with a certified engine that
also crashed on its maiden flight with propulsion issues? Was it a bad
engine choice or a bad installation?

YMMV, but you appear to share and reflect the pilot-builder's deadly
attitude. The devil lurks in the 10,000 details.

That is the real issue, was the engine a bad choice or was the
installation not done correctly?

There is a lot more service history and corporate knowledge on Lycoming
and Continental installations than there is for automotive conversions. So
a Lycoming or Continental installer has a lot more info to work with, and
he is much less likely to come up with a bad installation.

I think there is some hope that well engineered, firewall-forward
automotive conversion packages may eventually become as reliable as
Lycomings or Continentals. But getting the same reliablity from home-brew
conversions will be a lot more difficult. We need more guys like Bruce
Frank collecting and diseminating information, and all builders need to
share info on what works and what doesn't work.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada