Old September 16th 04, 11:18 AM
Vaughn

"Atcrossroad" wrote in message
om...

1) Is 30 y.o. is too old to be a sailor? I know navy is OK with 30y.o.
sailors, but..will I look like a freak among early 20th crowd?
2) Have you ever seen a Ph.D. enlisting as a sailor?

Don't even think of it. You will be the proverbial square peg in the round
hole, you will be trapped, miserable, and still working for peanuts.

3) What is the most challenging electronics field in navy? What is its
rate? Is it open for non citizens (Hopefully, I'll be a citizen in 2
years or so)? Ideally, I would like something involving little bit of
design

There is no design work that I have ever heard about in the Navy, perhaps
in Buships somewhere. Mosty, your job is to keep things working.

(I hope to pass PE exam in the future, and I need a design
experience to be registered as a professional engineer).

Do that! Look for a job in the public sector. They are out there. For
example: You could be in charge of the traffic signal shop for a large county
and move your way right up if you wanted to. I knew a guy just like you who
worked for South Florida Flood control happily in charge of a bunch of
electronics technicians who designed his own microwave control circuits for the
big water gates.

4) Assuming that I will like the service, will be good at it, will get
my citizenship and will decide to become an officer: a) what is max
age for applicants to an officer school? b) will I be required to
fulfill my enlistment obligations prior to applying to a school?

A) Don't know
B) Typically, no

I also once joined the Navy with the idea of "working my way up to officer"
It was increadibly niave for me (but I was young then) it would be stupid for
you for a range of reasons.

Good Luck
Vaughn