Old September 16th 20, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default FES underpowered for 18m ship?

Yes, that would work. You need a different strategy (and perhaps different discipline) with the FES vs. an ICE. I usually keep trying until I'm a bit over pattern altitude, then fire. There are some other scenarios such as storm cells over intended destination, land somewhere and wait it out, then continue but these are admittedly rare. I believe every retrieve I have done in flying my ASH at Truckee for 20 years would have been as easily done with an FES. Now it just needs to self launch to 3000 AGL and still be able to do those retrieves, and charge itself somehow on the line overnight.

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 11:11:26 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
John, for the Carson relight you are correct if one waits until pattern altitude at Carson. However the strategy should be to relight over spooner the moment you down to your minimum altitude, say 9K. You will need a short run and only 1-2K climb to get to a safe final glide altitude. If you run out of battery before hand you can escape back to Carson.
At least this is what I would do if I have FES.

Ramy