Old August 11th 05, 03:29 PM
Gernot Hassenpflug

"St" == St John Smythe writes:

St BeepBeep wrote:
Anybody think this can actually be lit off ?

that is - without

(a). any tech manual documentation (b). any kind of hazmat
permits (presuming it uses some toxic chemicals for fuel).
(c). blowing oneself up

St How to put this...if I had the tech manual, the fuel and
St oxidizer, the permits and immortality, I still wouldn't
St attempt to fire it up. Too many ways to have more fun than
St that with propellant systems these days.

I keep remembering reading about the Mitsubishi Shusui rocket fighter
development (maybe the Gakken series book), and how the engine was
really really shaky, with poor materials, lack of experience of the
engineers, and so forth. Not to mention the inherent dangers of
rockets and explosive fuels. When testing the motor, all the staff
would get into a slit trench and simply stay there until the engine
burned its fuel out, not daring to stick their heads up (from previous
experience). One new chap decided it was a good idea to have a look
see, and put up his head. One of the other lads shouted to him to get
down, but it was too late. The engine exploded and the blast simply
tore his head off his shoulders.
--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan