Old May 5th 18, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default FLARM in the USA question

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 7:05:05 PM UTC-7, wrote:
So.....
Classic Flarm units are not permitted in the USA?
Therefore, all of our discussions in the USA should be limited to PowerFlarm?

Where have you you been Guy? :-) All our discussion in the USA *has* been about PowerFLARM.

A large part of the focus on getting PowerFLARM into the USA was because the legacy FLARM was not FCC approved. That the product could also offer some ADS-B compatibility was another reason to want to go that way (with the USA ahead of the rest of the world on ADS-B adoption).

Now as pointed out here it seems like other vendors are working to get FCC approval for their FLARM products in the USA, so it will get a little more confusing how we talk about different FLARM products. But nobody is going to go back in time and invest $$$ and effort to get old legacy FLARM products FCC approved for use in the USA.