Old March 2nd 04, 07:09 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Puppinator" wrote in message
Just out of curiousity...what EXPERIENCE do you have working/flying the
A-10? Or do you just quote from Janes and/or CNN.

Oh, goodie. Another Art-in-the-making. Never flew an A-10, obviously. Do
happen to know that your "the gun is their main armament" is about twenty
years out of date, if not more (ISTR Mavericks were included in their
warloads from the beginning). The gun was not their primary method of attack
during ODS, nor was it during OIF. If you think it is now, or was during
those conflicts, provide some sort of evidence that supports that theory.

Brooks

--
Pup
USAF, Retired

"Puppinator" wrote in message
On the contrary...I don't believe "modern fighters" need a gun..is that
putting it better...however, the A-10 is classified as an "attack"

a/c...and
before retrofits, it's primary weapon was the gun...could use it

remarkable
well...and with more variety of PGU 30mm ammunitions than that available

F-16's or F-15s...bottom line, the A-10 was design to use its gun on a

daily
basis...the F boys weren't.

--

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Puppinator" wrote in message

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Puppinator" wrote in message

Ok, let me explain a little deeper...the A-10 is the only on

currently
full
up operational that needs a gun....as it is it's primary weapon.

It is? Not from what I have heard about A-10 operations. The

Maverick,
along
with various bombs (guided and dumb) seem to be its primary

armament,
and
the gun is secondary.

I only know this from working 6 years on the A-10 and it's initial

primary
mission: CAS....but since the A-10 has been multi-roled, those lines

have
blurred. Initially, it was the gun for CAS/Tank Killer roles.

I am getting the distinct impression you are not going to back off

from
the
various incorrect assertions you have made in this thread (to wit:

only
the
A-10 needs a gun and it's primary weapon is the gun, can't do CAS from

10K,
failure to recognize that even the F-16 has indeed engaged in strafe
operations during both ODS and OEF, etc.). C'est la vie.

Brooks