Old June 22nd 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default Torrey Pines

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 12:25:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Nice article on the history and future of this site.

http://www.lajollalight.com/news/loc...613-story.html

5Z

Thank you for posting that!

In 1963, I was on liberty from S.D. Navy boot camp. My older sister picked me up and drove to Torrey Pines. I'd drooled over Mechanic's Illustrated and other mags about glider flight, but this was a first! Looking at that gorgeous machine swooshing past, working the lift below me. I was amazed and envied that pilot who was able to soar back and forth in the breathtaking beauty of such a place.

40 years later, I trailered my ASH26E to Torrey Pines with the idea of launching at a nearby airport and soaring those cliffs to bring it full circle. Mother Nature didn't much care about my circle, making no effort to stiffen up a breeze, so my dream remains just that.

bumper
zz Minden
MKIV "high tech" yaw strings, Quiet Vents
Dare to be Different, Circle in Sink