Old April 26th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Tow Plane Upsets......

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 8:50:01 PM UTC+3, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 10:30:05 AM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Well yes, we really don't want to go to extreme attitudes...

I definitely agree that we should teach recognition and remediation.

But I also think that the main point here is that a true kiting incident is a divergent condition such that, once established, can easily escalate at a rate beyond human control. So we have to be careful about how we teach it.

I would like to know what happens if you have a 1000+ ft aerotow rope and cause the glider to "winch launch" behind the tug.

I have a hunch that very very bad things start to happen long before there's any significant upward angle on the rope. Such as the tug virtually stopping mid air and stalling/falling.