Old November 1st 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default PowerFLARM

On Nov 1, 10:37*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
Toward the bottom of this page:

http://www.gliderpilot.org/FlarmExternalDisplays

is a picture of a SeeYou screen displaying Flarm data. *I don't
understand the situation involving the glider that is displayed as
"Enemy." *If it is 466m higher than "my" glider, why is it a threat?

That picture is confusing. It is not showing a Flarm "threat" for
either or the other two gliders - if it was you get an alarm/audible
alert and popup alert (see link below for more info) to help you to
get your head out the damn cockpit. Is showing SeeYou capability to
label and color code other gliders for team buddy/flying.

From the SeeYou Mobile usrs Manual:
"By default, those Flarms which are less than 100 meters above or
below your current altitude are marked red, others are black. Each
Flarm is presented by a glider symbol, its recent track and a group of
numbers for altitude and average vario (20s average). If a friendly
name was added for a particular Flarm, then this name appears in the
label as well. Colors, visibility of the radar, track lenghts and some
other settings are customizable through Settings Flarm" [i.e. in the
photo shown somebody has changed the default settings including that
SeeYou (not Flarm threat) alitude margin]

See also the info and example Flarm voice warning from SeeYou Mobile
at
http://www.naviter.si/tour/seeyou-mo...php?Itemid=165
(I understand that PowerFLARM will be adding its own in-box voice
warning as a software update--I'd like a female voice with a German
accent and a shut up and listen I'm the boss attitude please :-)).

Some Flarm related products like the latest version of SeeYou Mobile
support FLARMnet (http://www.flarmnet.org) and I believe PowerFLARM
will support that as well (since Butterfly avionics who is
manufacturing the PowerFLARM devices was the push behind FLARMnet).
FLARMnet is useful because it lets you easily correlate info on the
other aircraft/pilot with their Flarm ID. PowerFLARM users will
probably want to think about registering on FLARMnet.

Darryl